July 3, 2022
Players qualify at Sawmill Golf Course for MJT Mini Tour National Championship
Venue and location: Sawmill Golf Course, Fenwick, ON
Tournament Date: July 3, 2022
- Canada’s number-one played Junior Golf Tour, the Maple Leaf Junior Golf Tour, held a Mini Tour for players aged 12 and under at Sawmill Golf Course in Fenwick, ON, on July 3, where a full field competed in six age divisions.
- Each division winner, if not already exempt, received an invitation to the MJT Mini Tour National Championship at Tsawwassen Springs in British Columbia this August.
- Bryce Burridge, 11, of London, ON, claimed the MJT Boys 11-12 title after firing a round of 75 to win by two strokes.
- Kaprice Park, 12, of Oakville, ON, continued her excellent performance with a score of 73 to win her second and last MJT Girls 11-12 division title, as she has opted to play up in the MJT Junior Tour Girls 15-19 from now on.
- Nine-year old Bruce Wang of Markham, ON, won the MJT Boys 9-10 title by six shots, notching his first win on the MJT Mini Tour.
- Finishing the day with a score of 89, Mirela Boras, 10, of Burlington, ON, edged out a one stroke victory in the MJT Girls 9-10 division.
- Derek Zhao, 8, of Maple, ON, played solid golf and came out on top of the MJT Boys 8U division (75).
- Angelina Chang, 8, of Aurora, ON, ran away with the MJT Girls 8U division title after she also fired a round of 75.
- Closest to the Pin award winners are posted on the website.
MJT Girls 8U: Sawmill GC: Par 72, Ydg 3000, Slope/Rating 0/0.0
Angelina Chang Aurora, ON F 8 75 75
Cassandra Smith Brampton, ON F 7 99 99
Matea Boras Burlington, ON F 7 102 102
Winner’s Quote: Angelina Chang, 8, of Aurora, ON: “I am so happy about winning, I had some really good chips. [When asked about how I feel and deal with feeling under pressure during a game if its not going as planned], I am 8, I don’t really feel any pressure.”
MJT Girls 9-10: Sawmill GC: Par 72, Ydg 4405, Slope/Rating 118/68.2
Mirela Boras Burlington , ON F 10 89 89
Amanda Zhang Richmond Hill, ON F 9 90 90
Grace Stewart Fenwick, ON F 10 91 91
Winner’s Quote: Mirela Boras, 10, of Burlington, ON: “I feel awesome about winning, my driver was the best part of my game for sure. I hit some bad shots here and there, but overall did good.”
MJT Girls 11-12: Sawmill GC: Par 72, Ydg 4405, Slope/Rating 118/68.2
Kaprice Park Oakville, ON F 12 73 73
Nobelle Park Oakville, ON F 12 75 75
Ava Gilbart Toronto, ON F 11 86 86
Winner’s Quote: Kaprice Park, 12, of Oakville, ON: “I feel happy to win, I hit some birdies and good shots all around. If things get stressful, I forget about the bad holes and focus on the next hole.”
MJT Boys 8U: Sawmill GC: Par 71, Ydg 3000, Slope/Rating 0/0.0
Derek Zhao Maple, ON M 8 75 75
Harrison Doucet Scarborough, ON M 8 77 77
Isaac Min North York, ON M 8 79 79
Winner’s Quote: Derek Zhao, 8, of Maple, ON: “I feel very happy, this is amazing! The highlight was when I putted two birdies. When the game wasn’t going as planned, I just took deep breaths and tried to remember what my coach told me.”
MJT Boys 9-10: Sawmill GC: Par 71, Ydg 4405, Slope/Rating 118/68.2
Bruce Wang Markham , ON M 9 79 79
William Chen Toronto, ON M 10 85 85
Adam DiBernardo Scarborough , ON M 9 92 92
Winner’s Quote: Bruce Wang, 9, of Markham, ON: “I feel awesome! A unique highlight was getting a nose bleed, and then hitting a birdie right after. When things don’t go as planned, I just visualize and tell myself I am going to win still.”
MJT Boys 11-12: Sawmill GC: Par 71, Ydg 5381, Slope/Rating 120/68.0
Bryce Burridge London , ON M 11 75 75
Justin Chu North York, ON M 12 77 77
Dustin Zhao Maple, ON M 10 78 78
Full results and closest-to-the-pin winners are posted on the MJT website
Registration is on-going for the next Mini Tour stop in the province, the MJT Mini Tour Summer Series at Turnberry Golf Club in Brampton, ON, on July 28. To see the full 2022 MJT schedule and upcoming events, please check the MJT website at www.maplejt.com.
About the MJT: The non-profit Maple Leaf Junior Golf Tour is Canada’s number one-played Junior Golf Tour as well as the only national junior tour run exclusively by PGA of Canada Professionals and the ‘Road to College Golf’ in Canada. The organization is supported by valued Premier, Tournament and Product Partners. The MJT hosts close to 100 events across Canada, including free Ford Go Golf Junior Clinics, the MJT Mini Tour for 12U and multi-day events for competitive players aged 11-19 which also offer qualifiers for international tournaments. The program has annual awards, scholarships and incentives to help reward performance and participation throughout each season. MJT alumni include many Professional Tour players and PGA of Canada Professionals, as well as Canadian Amateur, National and Provincial Junior Champions. The MJT aims to develop champions, in golf and in life, promoting the game from grassroots through to the provincial, national, university and professional levels.
Lauren Allard, Marketing