July 28-29, 2022
MJT Manitoba Series in Carman sees Scott shoot low overall score in style
Venue and location: Carman Golf Club, Carman, Manitoba
Tournament Date: July 28-29, 2022
Full Results: see website.
- Canada’s number-one played Junior Golf Tour, the Maple Leaf Junior Golf Tour, recently stopped in Carman, MB, to host both Mini (12U) and Junior (U19) Tour stops on July 28 and 29.
- In the Junior Tour event, the MJT Manitoba Series at Carman Golf Club, golfers played two rounds in six divisions. As the penultimate tournament in the province this MJT season, these U19 golfers were looking to make a statement before MJT Nationals in November.
- Thomas Scott, 18, of Dauphin, MB, shot back-to-back rounds of 73 to claim the MJT Junior and low overall boy titles.
- Grady Chuback, 16, of Headingley, MB, battled it out for first in a stacked MJT Juvenile Boys division and came out on top with scores of 76-73=149, with a two-way tie for second place just two strokes back.
- MJT Girls 15-19 division winner and low overall girl champion, India Young, 15, of Carman, MB, bagged her first MJT win on home soil after finishing with a two-round score of 185.
- Finishing the tournament with back-to-back scores of 79 was MJT Bantam Boys winner Brayden Boge, 14, of Winnipeg, MB, who won with a ten stroke victory.
- Austin Nesbitt, 11, of Pilot Butte, SK, a familiar face on the MJT Saskatchewan circuit podiums, earned another win in the MJT Peewee Boys division after finishing with a two-round total of 160.
- Payton Bailey, 12, of Brandon, MB, put up a two-round score of 209 in the MJT U15 Girls division.
- Long Drive, Closest-to-the-Pin and Booster Juice Bounceback award winners are posted on the website.
MJT U15 Girls: Carman Golf Club: Par 71, Ydg 5331, Slope/Rating 121/71.7
- Payton Bailey Brandon, MB F 12 102, 107 209
Winner’s Quote: Payton Bailey, 12, of Brandon, MB: “I feel happy for how I did today. Getting a par and putting it in from pretty far away was great.”
MJT 15-19 Girls: Carman Golf Club: Par 71, Ydg 5331, Slope/Rating 121/71.7
- India Young Carman, MB F 15 87, 98 185
- Gracie McMillan Oakbank, MB F 15 95, 94 189
- Keira Krahn Carman, MB F 16 98, 93 191
Winner’s Quote: India Young, 15, of Carman, MB: “I’m super happy to get my first MJT win on home soil. Highlight of my day was getting myself back on track after a rocky start on the first round. My favourite shot was my approach shot on hole 11 because it was the moment I knew I just had to hold on to my lead, and stay focused.”
MJT Peewee Boys: Carman Golf Club: Par 71, Ydg 5331, Slope/Rating 0/0.0
- Austin Nesbitt Pilot Butte, SK M 11 80, 80 160
- Owen Conrad Winnipeg , MB M 11 86, 89 175
- Hunter Oakden Brandon, MB M 11 87, 91 178
Winner’s Quote: Austin Nesbitt, 11, of Pilot Butte, SK: “It feels good to win a junior event in Manitoba, my clutch putting definitely helped these two rounds, which made me pretty happy. My back nine on the second day kind of let me down, but other than that it was a good couple of rounds!”
MJT Bantam Boys: Carman Golf Club: Par 71, Ydg 5773, Slope/Rating 109/67.8
- Brayden Boge Winnipeg, MB M 14 79, 79 158
- Evan Evaskavich Calgary, AB M 13 85, 83 168
- Dylan McFadyen Winnipeg, MB M 13 81, 89 170
Winner’s Quote: Brayden Boge, 14, of Winnipeg, MB: “It feels really good to take the division title, I had a rough start but battled back. Driving on the second day was a highlight and strong point, I only missed two fairways. There is always a way to bounce back on a tough round.”
MJT Juvenile Boys: Carman Golf Club: Par 71, Ydg 5969, Slope/Rating 111/68.6
- Grady Chuback Headingley, MB M 16 76, 73 149
- Cameron McDonald Winnipeg, MB M 15 77, 74 151
- Cashe McNabb East St Paul, MB M 15 75, 76 151
Winner’s Quote: Grady Chuback, 16, of Headingley, MB: “I feel really good about this win, it was very exciting and was one of my goals this year! My driver and putter were working well together which lined me up for a lot of birdie opportunities. I just took deep breaths and tried to stay present, it helped me out.”
MJT Junior Boys: Carman Golf Club: Par 71, Ydg 5969, Slope/Rating 111/68.6
- Thomas Scott Dauphin, MB M 18 73, 73 146
- Eric Prokopowich Dauphin, MB M 18 77, 75 152
- Jack Rudick Winnipeg, MB M 17 77, 75 152
Winner’s Quote: Thomas Scott, 18, of Dauphin, MB: “It feels pretty good to win this title, it gives me some validity that things are working out the way I have practiced and planned them too. A highlight was almost holing out on hole eight, and then getting to play with Eric Prokopowich.”
Long Drive, Closest-to-the-Pin and Booster Juice Bounceback award winners are posted on the website
The next and final stop in the province is the MJT Bieber Classic at Glendale Golf and Country Club in Winnipeg, MB, August 22-24. To see the full 2022 MJT schedule and upcoming events, please check the MJT website at www.maplejt.com.
About the MJT: The non-profit Maple Leaf Junior Golf Tour is Canada’s number one-played Junior Golf Tour as well as the only national junior tour run exclusively by PGA of Canada Professionals and the ‘Road to College Golf’ in Canada. The organization is supported by valued Premier, Tournament and Product Partners. The MJT hosts close to 100 events across Canada, including free Ford Go Golf Junior Clinics, the MJT Mini Tour for 12U and multi-day events for competitive players aged 11-19 which also offer qualifiers for international tournaments. The program has annual awards, scholarships and incentives to help reward performance and participation throughout each season. MJT alumni include many Professional Tour players and PGA of Canada Professionals, as well as Canadian Amateur, National and Provincial Junior Champions. The MJT aims to develop champions, in golf and in life, promoting the game from grassroots through to the provincial, national, university and professional levels.
Lauren Allard, Marketing